The Celebration Hope Center provides counseling to people who are hurting on a sliding scale basis. No one is turned away. There is a serious shortage of help for people suffering from mental health issues – especially if you don’t have health insurance or can’t afford to pay for counseling. The Hope Center provides the opportunity for people with little or no resources to receive the counseling they need. The blog written below by Michelle Louviere explains some of the things that the Hope Center has accomplished since it opened 8 years ago.
What Have We Done in the Last 8 Years –
From the Desk of Michelle Louviere
This morning I have been thinking about GiveNOLA Day happening on May 6th. Like most people, I am uncomfortable with asking people for money. As I prayed about this, I realized that I am not asking money for selfish reasons. I am asking people to come along side of us and be a part of the amazing things that God does in and through the Celebration Hope Center and Healing Hearts for Community Development. I am in awe of God and humbled that He has given me the privilege to work beside the most amazing group of people that I have ever known. When God brought me back to New Orleans 8 years ago, I could never even begin to imagine all that has happened.
Here is what I am thanking God for today:
- We have literally provided thousands of hours of counseling to thousands of people through intensive addiction recovery, individual, couple and family sessions, and groups.
- We have trained 500 plus in sexual abuse prevention in our state and NY.
- We have trained over 125 master level interns who are now counseling all over the place; some of them are even directors of centers.
- We have become the unofficial trauma recovery center of our community and deal with approximately 60% of the traumas seen on the news.
- We are sought out to partner with community organizations, such as:
- CADA to provide treatment to the Orleans’ Parish prisoners
- Jefferson Parish School Based Health Clinics to provide counseling to adolescents,
- Eden House to provide the trauma therapy at for those who have been sexually trafficked in our community
- Diversion programs
- Parole and Probation Offices to provide help for people who have failed in some way
- Children’s Hospital Advocacy Center to do sexual trauma treatment for children and youth
- Jefferson Parish Juvenile Center to help with youth who have sexually offended
- The New Orleans Mission to provide addiction treatment for their homeless population
- and many other organizations.
- We have only advertised for 3 months right after Katrina, and we cannot keep up with the numbers of people we see.
- We have over 40 counselors working at all times.We have worked with dozens of community schools helping thousands of children learn healthy life skills to cope with family problems, resist drugs and alcohol and prevent violence.
- We have provided crisis response to schools when they have experienced great trauma, such as suicide and death.
- We have provided disaster response to other places, such as New York and Alabama, after natural disasters.
- We have trained community helpers in addiction, trauma and prevention.
- We have the most amazing, well trained staff that is trained in numerous evidence-based therapy models: MET, EMDR, EFT, CBT, ACT, PREP, Seeking Safety, Anderson and Anderson Anger Management, Triple P Positive Parenting, TF-CBT, Trauma, and Addiction.
- We have worked with a predominantly low income clientele, which means that we have given many free or greatly reduced services throughout the years.
- We have worked with very, very hard clinical populations. Often times, people in the community refer clients here who they were unable to help.
Most importantly, we have seen God do amazing miracles of restoration, healing and redemption! Only God knows how many lives have been forever changed by coming to Celebration Hope Center! Visit our websites to learn more about Celebration Hope Center and Healing Hearts for Community Development.
A statement heard throughout the years has been, “I would not be alive if Celebration Hope Center hadn’t existed.”
Wow! I feel like dancing in the halls! Don’t worry – I won’t do that! It absolutely is amazing to see all that God has done! I love this place! I love our clients! I love my team. All of that means that I am going to do my best to get the word out about this awesome, really easy fundraising event, GiveNOLA Day.
Please join our team on May 6 by donating online at http://www.givenola.org/#npo/healing-hearts-for-community-development. Thank you for your generosity. Please help us spread the word online.
Michele Louviere, M.Div., LMFT
Director of Counseling
Celebration Hope Center